Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Legends and Lies

Okay, I would like to start this blog off by saying, no one can say anything to me any more about not posting in a timely manner!! It's the middle of June people!! Get to posting! I need something to read! Just kidding. I love you all. Now as for reading. I have been reading a book called Legends and Lies: Great Mysteries of the American West by Dale L. Walker. This is a very interesting book. I think even if you don't enjoy history, as I do, you would want to read this book.
So, let's digress a minute. How many of you learned about Davy Crockett in school. Before you raise your hand, really think about it. Did you really learn about Davy in school or have you just heard of him all of your life? Now I don't know about you, but I can't remember learning one thing about Davy Crockett in school. The extent of my knowledge about him was that he wore a coonskin hat and dressed like and Indian in buckskins. And thanks to the Kentucky Headhunters, he was King of the Wild Frontier! That's a song for those of you who don't know. Davy, Davy Crockett. King of the wild frontier. Sorry, now I will have it stuck in my head. Anyway. Even Walt Disney had a hand in shaping the knowledge of the man we call Davy Crockett. Most of it untrue. Imagine that. So back to the book. Did you know that he was a three time Congressman? Even though he was close to being illiterate. And that the circumstances of his death has been disputed for years? Do you know where he died? Helping defend the Alamo. Did you know that the death of Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis & Clark expedition, was disputed. Some say he committed suicide others say he was murdered. Although I do find it hard to believe he would have shot himself in the head, enough to expose brain tissue (sorry I'm trying to put it nicely) then shoot himself in the chest, and according to some reports, cut himself with a razor to finish the job. He may have gone crazy, but I don't think that crazy. Also, did you know that in 1995, they exhumed the grave of Jesse James to do DNA testing to see if it really was him or as some say, a J. Frank Dalton. Or that Billy the Kid was not killed and later came to turn himself in as an old man who was known at the time as Brushy Bill. They said his telling of the circumstances were so accurate only Billy the Kid would have known those details. Maybe this doesn't interest you, so I'll write a better blog later. But I am fascinated by this. I never knew this stuff. And history was my favorite subject in school, so I would have remembered learning this stuff right? Anyway, there are lots more legends in the book I haven't even gotten to yet. Black Bart, Boston Corbett and John Wilkes Booth. Ambrose Bierce, Custer and Little Bighorn, Crazy Horse, Sacajawea. So stay tuned for the rest of the story...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly~
I miss you.. and it's so nice to be able to see what's new with ya'll on your blog. I'll be checking it regularly!
You guys are GREAT!
We appreciate and love you guys very much.
Rachel G.

~Kimberly~ said...

Hi Sis Holly,

I like to read about those kinds of things too. They are really interesting.

Write more...I'll look in on ya later. :) Love you!

The Power of an Hour Ministry T.E.A.M. said...

Hi Sis. Holly
I love to read about those things also after all History was and still is my favorite subject. Lets talk about taking a long time to post a new blog some of us have to work for a living ha!ha! we will be updating soon. So was it Jessie? Let me know.

Love you!